[WEB4LIB] Re: js/css/dhtml and accessibility

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Fri Mar 16 11:02:47 EST 2001

It is programmes like this that make online ads so ineffective. Don't get me
wrong, I use similar software myself to block ads. But the point is that it's
far easier to filter out an online ad than it is a print ad. With print, you
usually have to look at the ad even to rip it from a magazine.

As to the fly-out menus, I kind of like them, but I think they're going to
get quickly overused. I was at a site a while back that had two or three fly-
outs for each menu item. This kind of muddled the site and made it harder to
use. I believe you're right that they require the JAVA to be turned on in
your web browser. Forcing this upon people does seems to be very
inappropriate as many people I know do not use JAVA unless they totally
cannot get by without it. My way of thinking is that, just like writing code
for a programme, anyone writing code for a webpage has to assume certain
things from the end user, i.e. that the user has JAVA turned on, that they're
using a graphical browser, etc. From what I understand, the majority of
people use graphical browsers (of some type) and have the JAVA turned on.

I would hope that designers research their viewing base a little and make
informed assumptions, but as we all know, this is not always the case.

Dan

--
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us