[WEB4LIB] Re: hanging indents?

Peter C. Gorman pgorman at library.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 16 09:30:14 EST 2001

At 5:25 PM -0800 3/15/01, Lee Jaffe wrote:
>>   Is there any way to create a hanging indent on a web page?

Only if you're actually creating a definition list, in which case
browsers' default rendering may do this. But, to quote from the Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines, 3.1:

"Using markup improperly -- not according to specification -- hinders
accessibility. Misusing markup for a presentation effect (e.g., using
a table for layout or a header to change the font size) makes it
difficult for users with specialized software to understand the
organization of the page or to navigate through it."

If it's just the formatting effect you're after, CSS is really the
only way to go. The combination of negative indent and postive left
margin mentioned in a previous post works quite well, even in
Netscape:

p.list { margin-left: +1.75em;
          text-indent: -1.75em  }

--
Peter C. Gorman
pgorman at library.wisc.edu
(608) 265-5291

What's the difference between fiddle players and government bonds?
Government bonds eventually mature and earn money.