Britannica, etc.

D. Popeck dspp at operamail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:52:13 EST 2001

>===== Original Message From tdowling at ohiolink.edu =====
><URL:http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_NLTam_STO58603,00
>.html> reports that britannica.com is shutting down free, ad-supported
>access to the Encyclopaedia Britannica.  If I weren't busy with my NCAA
>brackets, I'd organize a betting pool on what other ad-supported,
>library-related sites would go next.

As Ohio librarians, we can say that access to Britannica will go unabated.
OPLIN has offered free access to the encyclopedia for some time, and now Ohio
library card holders can even access it free from home. I assume that many
libraries have or will offer such services soon.

On another topic, we are slated to get Gates computers sometime this spring.
Could current users of Gates PCs please send me reviews of the machines either
via list or private mail. Thank you in advance.

D. Popeck
Madison Library