[WEB4LIB] Re: Free Britannica Going Away

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Thu Mar 15 13:18:18 EST 2001

I fully agree with you. I really don't mind the ads all that much, but the
reason I don't mind them is I don't hardly even see them. I must look at
around 50 banner ads per day. However, I don't really *look* at them. I
notice their existence and proceed with whatever it was I was doing. Since I
don't remember what the ad was for, and I don't remember what product or what
brand the ad was pushing, the ad failed with me. The point is that I flip
past the online ad and give it just as little thought as I would an ad in a
magazine.

Advertisers were trying to use a method called "branding" with these ads. By
this you'll see a product and associate it with a brand name. For instance,
Band-aids, Frisbee, and Tums are all successful branding ventures. But with
so many ads on the net, and no one looking at them or paying attention in
anyway, the ads are failing, just as quickly as the companies. If it took me
clicking on an ad every now and then just to keep a good service free, I'd do
it too.

Dan
Mike Madin <madin at academicinfo.net> said:

> There seems to be an odd irony with online advertising: When you pay for a
> print subscription advertising is assumed but with free online content ads
> are anathema. For example, when you subscribe to the print version of
> American Libraries (or any other magazine or newspaper) advertising isn't
> giving a second thought but when you access the *free* online version ads
> become offensive.
>
> Even though I'm no fan of corporate America, I'd rather live with online
> advertising than see the demise of all independent search engines,
> directories and portals.

The subject in question...
Daniel Messer
Technologies Instructor