[WEB4LIB] website training and review - what works?

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Thu Mar 15 11:18:11 EST 2001

In addition to student and faculty focus groups, you might try sending a
little survey out to the students and faculty at large. Maybe drop some in
the professors' mailboxes and have them distribute to their classes.
Something like this was done several times while I was in college and it
seemed to work well. How you want them returned is up to you, but some profs
might object to collecting them and returning them. The reason for this being
that sometimes focus groups don't quite match the student and faculty
population at large and you might get a whole bunch of people in the group
that can't find X, but the real problem is that the rest of the students
can't find Y.

Another thing you might try, especially after you've discovered your specific
needs, is to distribute bookmarks or something like that with the library's
URL on it and maybe some FAQs. I understand what your admins are trying to
accomplish, after all trying to "sell" the college to people who already go
there is like preaching to the choir. Yet the library's site should pretty
much be geared directly for the current students as they are the folks that
will use it the most.

Good luck!
Dan

Carrie Phillips <phillipsc at bluffton.edu> said:

> Greetings, WEB4LIB,
>
> These questions are geared to those of you in academic library settings...
>
> Here's our situation:
>
> Our campus has recently overhauled its website design and architecture, and
> I've had to redesign the library portion of the campus site to match
> visually.  We're now hearing two-fold rumors about campus that students are
> having trouble finding our library home page from the campus home page, and
> that once they do find us, they are having trouble knowing where to go to
> find what they need (research databases, etc.).
<SNIP!>

--
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us