popup navigation window

Paula Edmiston paula at edmiston.org
Thu Mar 15 10:08:33 EST 2001

> Paul Sutherland asked about
> e.g. Click a link/image, a (small) popup loads, click on link
> in popup and the result loads into the main (original) window.

I am new to this list and am learning a lot from everybody here.

I have experimented with this kind of pop up navigation
and you can see it at
http://matrixmagic.com/webwork/jsnav.html

This is an experimental directory, not for general public access and it's
messy - sorry for that.

This popup nav doesn't require any cgi - it's just javascript.
But on the jsnav.html page is  a button to pop the nav window.
That button opens a file named jsnavpop.html which contains the nav links.

This approach is a struggle for me. I'm still trying to figure out
where to put the "noscript" statement that would just list the links
for browsers that don't support javascript.  I think I have the alternate
links set now but can't figure how to make the JS button invisible
to non -js browsers.

It looks to me like view source will show you all the code but feel
free to ask about anything here too. I didn't write this code, I found it
at an archive. But if I can offer any help I'm glad to.

paula

paula at edmiston.org
http://edmiston.org/paula/
"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab
places where people sit in silence, and that's been the
main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as
librarians." Monty Python