[WEB4LIB] RE: hanging indents?

peterson at amigos.org peterson at amigos.org
Wed Mar 14 18:22:23 EST 2001

I think you have to use margin-left with text-indent in order to get this
to work in CSS.  E.g.,

p {text-indent: -30px; margin-left: 30px; }

Christine Peterson
Library Liaison Officer, Amigos Library Services
14400 Midway Road, Dallas, TX  75244-3509
800/843-8482 x191 (message only)
512/671-1580 (phone and fax)
EMAIL:  peterson at amigos.org

> > Is there any way to create a hanging indent on a web page?  We're
> > creating a page on citing in MLA style, and while I'm fairly sure
> > this can't be done, I thought I'd ask the experts.
>
> I don't know any logical way to do it: I'm hoping someone else will know
> one. What follow are some truly horrible kludges shared in a spirit of
> morbid fascination.

In CSS you just set in the style sheet p {text-indent: -20pt;} or what
have you. Or set a subclass of p.