[WEB4LIB] Re: HTML Question - target="new"

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:00:42 EST 2001

Wow, shades of 1994-5 cropping up.
Only then it was: "Tell people this page optimzed for Netscape"
Competing technology and and competing "standards" are the problem.
We all had to jump through hoops to get our pages to "look right" on each
platform.
Designers, all of us at one point or another, forgot one basic thing:
relevant content matters more than "correct" display.
Ease of navigation is also important, but without content there are no
"eyeballs."
"In theory" current browsers are standards compliant (ouch, just hit the
floor laughing) but then you are left with "lowest common denominator" and
the page doesn't "look nice".  Write your scripts to run on the server, have
it output standard html so it looks to the browser like a static page and
accept that not everyone will see how pretty the page is.
Until the "standards" are in final version (in stone) and enforced
(diligently) its every browser for itself, every user for themself, and
ymmv.
This war has been fought, and no one won the first time.  Of course the web
survived, the ease of use transcends page formatting.
Unless you totally oppose the link you're linking you should not be popping
it into a new window, the current window is fine.  And if you totally oppose
it, why are you linking it? (If you're a library you probably ought to link
it anyway, if it has cultural, etc merit (see ALA Intellectual Freedom
statement), and leave it in the current window - the user will come back,
for as a library you have content)
-Aaron
:-)'
          cold boot  ::  computers