[WEB4LIB] Re: HTML Question - target="new"

Mark Pecaut pecautm at missouri.edu
Wed Mar 14 17:30:51 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 01:13:56PM -0800, Daniel Messer wrote:
> While I know there is a way to do this (I know for a fact that it can be done
> with Java) I would make one reccomendation. Forewarn people coming to your
> site that it's better to use IE to view it. I would do this if for no other

I strongly disagree with this.  Telling your users which browser
to use is like saying

`Welcome IE users!  Everyone Else Go Away!'

I can't use IE on my computer because I use Unix.  Sometimes I have
problems with a particular website (such as www.janus.com), and
I email the webmaster or whoever about it.  You know the attitude they
have?  `Sorry, we don't support Unix'  This is interpreted to mean
`Use IE or Go Away', and is very insulting.

Design your site for the web, not for browsers.

> > I am using the <a href=> tag with the target="new" attribute to bring up
> > a new window for a link.  In Netscape Navigator, the new window is full
> > size; in Internet Explorer, it is sized down so you can see the first
> > window behind it.  Is there a way in HTML to control this window
> > sizing?  Specifically, I would like the new window to appear as it does
> > in IE, so that the first window is still visible.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your advice,
> > Maribeth

There is no way to control the size of the new window with HTML -
you have to use JavaScript.

Sorry to sound so irritated, but the web is what it is because
of the great diversity of people connected, not because everyone
uses IE.

-Mark