[WEB4LIB] Re: ...and I thought "gop.gov" was bad...

Rachel Ban rban at info.umd.edu
Wed Mar 14 11:45:00 EST 2001

There are a few educational associations with .edu addresses that they
obtained very early on (pre-1994/5).  An educational association I
previously worked for tried to register for a .edu address, this was
perhaps three years ago (1998?).  Try as we might, we could not get the
.edu address.  We were told that we were not an educational institution
and could not get this as a domain name.

It seems that the verification procedures go from the extremes of strict
verification to no verification. I suspect that the checking procedures
have been significantly weakened since Network Solutions no longer has a
monopoly on domain name registrations.

rachel

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Dick Williams wrote:

> >From what I understand there is no verification of .edu addresses and anyone
> that wants to can register their address with this extension.  Perhaps I am
> wrong since I have never done this and cannot say for sure but this is what
> I have heard from many people over the years.
>
> I agree that this definitely needs to change and would participate in any
> kind of petition to make this happen.
>
> Best to all,  Dick Williams

Rachel E. Ban
Graduate Assistant
inforM/Web Services
                          University of Maryland College Park
5.7833                    3326 Computer & Space Sciences Bldg.
4.9220 fax                College Park, Maryland  20742-2411
rban at info.umd.edu         http://www.inform.umd.edu