Internet Explorer Restrictions

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Mar 14 10:10:25 EST 2001

Anyone who has tried to lock down Internet Explorer in the library is probably
familiar with this page of registry "hacks":

http://www.jsiinc.com/TIP1900/rh1976.htm

It outlines a number of registry settings that you can set to lock down IE to
prevent patrons from abusing the browser.  However, I've found that many of
these settings, like removing specific toolbar buttons, do not work in
WindowsNT 4 and Windows9x.

I'm pleased to report that these registry settings DO work in Windows2000.
We've been successful in locking down IE into a "kiosk" mode where only the
toolbars and the toolbar buttons that you want are present.

My network administrator has been working with Group Policies in Windows2000.
Group Policies provides a handy interface for changing and restricting Windows
and IE settings.  The changes made in Group Policies are made in the
Windows2000 registry so you no longer have to much around through obscure
registry keys to make changes.  Even better, the Group Policies interface
provides detailed explanations of each of the settings so you know in advance
how the change that you are making will effect Windows.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI