Securing Mozilla in the Public Library

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Mar 13 13:08:59 EST 2001

Some of you may be familiar with the help pages that I set up for securing
Netscape for use in the public library.  Those pages grew out of some tips that
were posted by Web4Lib members.  I have now created a similar set of help pages
that explain steps you can take to secure Mozilla for use in the public
library.  You can find the help pages starting here:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/mozilla/

These help pages include tips on securing:

* Bookmarks
* History
* Location Bar

You will also find tips on:

* Running Mozilla in Kiosk mode
* Limiting Mozilla to pre-defined web addresses

All of these help pages include easy-to-follow instructions and accompanying
graphics for easy comprehension.  I'm working on additional help sheets that
will guide you through the installation process for Mozilla as well as
additional security methods using Mozilla's native security features.

Many of you have been waiting to upgrade from Netscape 4.x to Mozilla/Netscape.
In my experience, the current 0.8 build of Mozilla is suitable for some library
Internet use, specifically for web OPACs.  At this time, I would not recommend
it for regular patron Internet use.  However, if you are willing to be a test
site for regular patron use of Mozilla, several of these help tips will assist
you to secure your Mozilla installation.  I do not recommend using Netscape 6.x
and I explain why on the help pages.

I appreciate any feedback, questions or corrections on these pages.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI