[WEB4LIB] web hosting services question

Thomas M G Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Fri Mar 2 12:08:43 EST 2001

I like gemstream ( http://www.gemstream.com ) I maintain a couple of sites
there and am very pleased with the service, pricing, management, and speed.
I tried three free service providers before going with gemstream.  The main
problem with free providers was slow serving of web pages and bad ftp
connections for updating pages.  I use Dreamweaver and its built in site
support features which allow me to copy files to gemstream just like copying
files in Windows Explorer.  Pricing starts out for under $10.00 a month with
25 email accounts, FrontPage Extensions, Web-Based Email, 40 mb disk space,
static IP, site statistics, and more.  Lots of CGI support like Perl, C, SH,
Java, and Python scripting.  The next price level up includes MySQL and more
email accounts and email lists.  You can even buy a Reseller Package and
sell domains yourself at your own pricing.

  The working site I have now is http://www.wgc-idpa.org (International
Defensive Pistol Association) and a site that will have valid pages soon is
http://www.bennettbooks.net (North Carolina County Records my father has
compiled into books as a North Carolina Genealogist, .net was the only
domain available for bennettbooks :-) ).

They will even process the domain name registration for you at $50.00 for
the first two years and $25.00 each year there after.

Thomas

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at pm.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine