web hosting services question

NJ Keane nancykeane at mediaone.net
Fri Mar 2 09:51:10 EST 2001

I am contemplating moving some of my web pages off my library server and
hosting them elsewhere.  The pages have been on my school's web server for
almost 6 years and there is no pressure to move them so that isn't an
issue.  It's just that the school system is becoming more and more unstable
(it's been down most of the week) and I just think it's time to take my
non-school pages to another level.

I currently use mediaone as my home isp.  They only allow 10 mb of web
space and I need about 20 mb.  I would like to register my own domain name
and then host my pages somewhere.  I've found some free and low cost sites
that will host pages up to 25 mb and allow ftp and cgi.  The trouble is, I
don't really know anything about these sites.  I don't want to move my
webpages and then realize I made a big mistake.

Do any of you have words of wisdom about this?  Should I stay with mediaone
and pay for more space or should I move to a web hosting service?  Does
anyone have a great web hosting site (free or inexpensive) that they would
recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

Nancy J. Keane   nancykeane at mediaone.net
Author of "Giles' Journey" (May 2000) ; Beyond Booktalks (June 2001)
Rundlett Middle School 144 South Street  Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Owner of booktalkers at egroups.com -- The original booktalking list!
Booktalks Page  http://rms.concord.k12.nh.us/booktalks
++++++Do the best you can and maintain a sense of humor++++++