Web-based message boards vs. email discussion groups

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Fri Mar 2 09:04:51 EST 2001

...received private responses from a couple of people about message boards vs. listservs, and then checked the Web4Lib archives. Although web-based message boards have been mentioned a few times (under terms like "web-based discussions", "threaded discussions", "web conferencing" "web-based bulletin boards"), I don't see where a discussion of the merits of these have been compared against listservs ever happened on Web4Lib.
   Maybe it's just been obvious, and I've had my head in the sand. At any rate,
Listserv pros:
--Users have only a single place to check for messages in all the discussions they want to follow, i.e. their inbox
--Most people check their email on a regular basis
--Messages can easily be cross-posted from one list to another
--There's more free-flow between threads and evolvement of new threads from old threads, since most people read all new messages
Listserv cons:
--Users must have access to an email account and client
--Messages can be missed if mailbox account host goes down
--Prescence of and access to archives is separate from discussion
--Volume of total list activity can overwhelm some users
Message board pros:
--No need for email account or email client (nice point for public access workstations)
--Past messages accessible and searchable
--Threads can be selectively chosen and followed or ignored; no need to delete messages on subjects not of interest
--No missed messages
--Client machine independent
--No attachement viruses
--No vacation messages from other subscribers
--No "how do I unsubscribe" messages
--Easy for adminstrator to start new message board--easy to see that extensive threads might merit their own board
Message board cons:
--Not as intuitive to many users as email is
--Poor cross-pollination between threads
--No cross-posting to other discussions

...so depending on the scope of the discussion, message boards may work better than listservs, and vice versa. Web4Lib, for example, brings up so many new topics that I really need to see every message to get a feel as for what is going on.