[WEB4LIB] Monitor Resolutions

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Fri Mar 2 07:47:43 EST 2001

At 9:28 AM -0800 27/2/01, Christopher LeBlanc wrote:
>First, I will say that my assumption of 640x480 being >75% is definitely
>inflated and is based on figures from a while ago.  I will stand by the
>statement that 640x480 makes up close to 50% of the total browsers out
>there.

There is something else besides monitor resolution. It's what the
reader wants to do. I would normally have 5 to 10 applications
running, each with multiple windows open. I don't WANT to give the
whole screen to a web page. A design which specifies the pixel width
of the of the page is utter annoyance and frustration as it leads to
the need for left to right scrolling which is anathema.

This is one of the reasons I use the Wannabe browser
http://mindstory.com/wb2/  for my first look a page as it ignores
width instructions based on pixel width. It renders the page in a
window size which I prefer, not one set by a designer who thinks
about appearance rather than content.

Tony
--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659