unique & fun training opportunity

Lee Strickland lstrickl at deans.umd.edu
Thu Mar 1 16:41:56 EST 2001

The University of Maryland, College of Information Studies, is offering
a continuing education workshop that may be of interest to many members
of this list:

Library Legal Concerns in the Electronic Age

This seminar will provide a baseline of required legal knowledge as well
as a cutting edge survey of recent laws and judicial decisions that are
essential knowledge for all
information professionals. It will also provide real-life strategies for
addressing legal issues you may encounter in the coming year, such as:

     FOIA and Privacy Law for the Librarian and the Patron

     Copyright and Contract in the Electronic Publishing Age

     The Continuing State and Federal Challenge to the First Amendment

     Library Regulations and Policies for the Information Age

The course will explore the following questions:

     What new laws must I know and what must I do?

     Will cyberspace publication fundamentally change the manner in
which my library operates? What are possible cost and policy
implications?

     When litigation threatens or happens, what are our key concerns?

We will discuss these challenges and more in terms of the law, evolving
law, policy and actual practice. Come prepared to gain a wealth of
information and some hands-on work that will translate directly to
better practices and policies for your home institution.

Date: April 24, 2001, 9:00 am—4:00 pm

Location: UMD, College Park, MD

Registration Fee: $145 (includes lunch) CEUs: .6

Registration Deadline: April 10, 2001

For more information, please contact: Robin Albert at 301-405-2057 or
ra67 at umail.umd.edu
REGISTRATION FORM: (check appropriate workshop)

____  Library Legal Concerns in the Electronic Age

Send completed form with payment to:
     Continuing Education Program
     4105 Hornbake South, CLIS, UMD
     College Park, MD 20742

or FAX to 301-314-9145.

____  Check here if you wish to receive continuing education credit
(CEUs).

Name:

Address:

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

Method of Payment:        Check (payable to University of Maryland)
Credit Card:    VISA         MasterCard          Discover

Credit Card#:

Expiration Date:

Cardholder's Name/Phone:

Signature: