[WEB4LIB] citrix metaframe and cd-rom access?

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Thu Mar 1 14:35:57 EST 2001

Jim Dryden wrote:

> Hi-
>
> Our library is considering purchasing a version of Citrix Metaframe for
> Win2000, and I'd like to know if any academic libraries out there have
> any experience with using this product to provide remote (WWW) search
> access to a collection of  locally mounted windows and DOS cd-rom
> databases. We have such a collection of cd-rom disks that are
> currently available only to computers connected to our campus ethernet,
> and our goal is to try and consolidate access to these databases using
> one interface for all local and remote users.  Any impressions, good
> or bad, regarding any aspect of installing, testing, maintaining, and
> supporting the product would be useful.

Probably the biggest thing folks wrestle with concerning MetaFrame
implementations is the licensing.  Both NT 4.0 Terminal Server and W2K
Terminal Services are licensed PER SEAT.  That means that every DEVICE
(not user) that connects to the server, even just once, will consume a
license.  Academic pricing on client licenses is something like $40 a
throw.  Do the math.  Alternatively, the Internet Connector License may
be used to provide anonymous access to Terminal Services.  This license
lists for $10K, and I have seen no academic pricing for it.  Legally
speaking, it is intended for 'non-employees', so theoretically staff
would not be able to use it.  And, no...per seat licensing and anonymous
licensing can NOT be used on the same server.  And some of your
application providers may get heartburn if you provide anonymous
access.  I wrote an authentication routine that works with anonymous
access (is this crazy, or what?).  Let me know if you think it will
help.

W2K terminal services goes one step further.  It requires the
installation of a license server to keep track of all this.  This can be
the W2K server itself, but it's still a hassle.  Licenses are installed
on the license server.  A device requesting access to Terminal Services
will be issued a PERMANENT license from the license server, and the
license count is decremented by one.  If the same user goes to a
different PC that has not yet received a license, the process repeats.

Also, Citrix just announced the new generation of MetaFrame, called XP.
Some new features, and a new pricing structure that may save money,
depending on the number of users.  Few users on a single server saves a
bit, more users on more servers appears to cost quite a bit more.  You
might want to get a cost comparison from your vendor.  Again, Citrix
licensing is based on concurrency; M$ licensing is based on anybody that
might want to access the server.  It gets a bit mind-boggling.

As to whether the technology is suitable for accessing a CD
collection...absolutely!  But it's management is not for the meek.
Check the archives here, at SYSLIB-L, at LIBNT-L, and at CDROMLAN.

Dennis Brantley  mailto:dennis at dati.com
Data Access Technologies, Inc.
Internet/Remote Access - Thin Client Computing - Network Storage
Citrix Solutions Partner/Citrix Education Solutions Provider