Definitions of web conferences/ e-conferences/ virtual conferences

Mary Jean Johnson siphoj at global.co.za
Wed Mar 28 02:56:37 EST 2001

I would like assitance in sourcing definitions for a postgraduate thesis on scholarly communication. Therefore I have cross-posted this email.

Definitions required are for:- virtual conference, e-conference, online conference, webconference. They appear to be used interchangeably.

    1.. Part of my research will cover the use of virtual conferencing as an alternative to travelling long distances, with a special focus on Africa.
    2.. I am therefore looking for other terms that might cover communication in less developed countries.
I have looked at Webpoedia but the latest update is 1996. I am aware of 14th Revision Directory of Scholarly and Professional E-Conferences 1999. www. n2h2.com/KOVACS?

Wooley describes Webconferencing in "The Future of Web Conferencing", at www. thinkofit.com/webconf/wcfuture.htm.

The latest (March 27 & 28 ) Internet Librarian Conference in London is described as an online conference. Live From London (http://www.lssi.com/virtual/livefromlondon/)

I will summarise the responses,

Thank you,

Mary Jean Johnson

Cape Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Cape Town, South Africa, 8000

Tel: +27 21 418 4300 Fax: +27 21 418 1800 email: siphoj at global.co.za

I have looked at the Cambridge Online Dictionary,which only lists "virtual".