Opening URLs in Word 97 documents from the browser

Lynley Jones Lynley.Jones at parliament.govt.nz
Tue Mar 6 19:20:15 EST 2001

I am seeking an explanation and remedy for an access problem with opening
URLs that appear in the body of Word 97 documents on our Intranet.

The documents open in Word 97, within Internet Explorer 4.01. Some of these
Word documents include URLs in the text or in footnotes.

When a hyperlink within the Word document is clicked on, the following
message occurs in a dialogue box:

"This document has been modified. Do you want to save changes?

Yes: Saves your changes
No: Discards your changes
Cancel: Keeps this document open

[Yes]   [No]   [Cancel]"

The title bar of the dialogue box simply shows the URL.

The user has to click on 'No' before they can go to the site.

This occurs when the only actions taken have been to open the document in
the browser, scroll down, and click on a link.

I would like to click on the URL and go straight to the site without always
having to respond to this
dialogue box.

Is this a Word issue, a browser issue or a server issue? Can the behaviour
be changed?

Any help appreciated.

Lynley Jones
Systems & Project Co-ordinator