(Update Week 17) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Jun 28 12:58:43 EDT 2001

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk Update Week 17
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs
of Interest to the Info Professional.

6/28/01

Hello from Washington D.C.

This has been a busy week. Please stop by the site for a large helping of
material. Thanks for continuing to let others know about the weblog.  I
appreciate it.

The Usual:
This email update is ONLY A SAMPLE of what you will find on the page.
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

---------
If you have questions or comments, just drop me a note.
--------

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu

----------------
Weekly Highlights #17
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 28, 2001
E-Reference
NPR Features Report on Cleveland Public Library's KnowItNow Service
Listen to this Report (RealAudio)

Documents in the News
Traffic Safety--U.S.--Lists and Rankings
Traffic Safety--Canada--Lists and Rankings
Source: State Farm Insurance
Most Dangerous Intersections in the U.S. and Canada-2001

----
Wednesday, June 27, 2001
Web Search--AltaVista
AV Joins the Fee-Based Crawling Club

Canadian Resource Shelf
E-Business
New Portal: E.biz Enable

Medical Schools--Global--Directories
Source: World Health Organization
Full-Text of World Directory of Medical Schools (7th ed.) Available on Web

----
Tuesday, June 26, 2001
Web Search--Google
Google Debuts Beta of "Image Search"
Web Search--FirstGov.Gov
FirstGov.Gov Adds State Pages to Database

Full-Text Document Shelf/Docs in the News Athletics--College
Source: Knight Foundation Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics
A Call to Action: Reconnecting College Sports and Higher Education
27 page .pdf

----
Monday, June 25, 2001
Employment--Minorities--United States--Lists and Rankings
Source: Fortune
Best Companies for Minorities

Canada Resource Shelf
Searchable Database--Government Employees Directory (GED)
GED Web Site Redesigned

Sunday, June 24, 2001
Full-Text Document Shelf
Selected New or Recently Updated
Congressional Research (CRS) Service Materials

----
Saturday, June 23, 2001
Business--Intelligence--Worldwide
ebusinessforum.com
This very impressive compilation (updated daily) is a source of, "global
business intelligence for the digital age". The site is compiled and features
content from the respected Economist Intelligence Unit. The "doing business
in..." section is an excellent guide to basic e-business statistics for many
countries.

----
Friday, June 22, 2001
Higher Education--U.K.--Lists and Rankings
Higher Education--U.S.--Lists and Rankings
Higher Education--Canada--Lists and Rankings
Higher Education--Germany--Lists and Rankings
Source: The Guardian
EducationGuardian's University Guide
>From the site, "EducationGuardian.co.uk's interactive guide to universities
and colleges covers some 60,000 vital statistics on 150 higher education
institutions...exclusive international research rankings for universities and
research centres in the UK,USA, Canada and Germany by viewing the university
guide."
Additional Resources: Direct to World University Research Tables
..."exclusive series of studies identifies the top research institutions
worldwide in seven major fields of research in the natural and social
sciences."

Academic Libraries--Statistics--U.S.
Source: NCES
Academic Library Peer Comparison Tool

----

Thursday June 21, 2001
Web Search--Pay for Placement
Source: eCompany Now
"Searching for Reliable Information"
>From the article, "Web search engines are a critical business research tool.
Too bad so many have sold out to advertisers."

Nicholson Baker Watch
Newspaper Archives
Streaming Media
Nick on the Air in Southern California
An archived version (RealAudio) of the program is available.

Campaign Finance
Political Action Committees
Searchable Databases--Invisible Web
Center for Responsive Politics (OpenSecrets.Org) Unveils Revamped PAC Section
An e-mail message alerts us to several new/updated section features including:
*Search for PACs by Industry and Sector
Database breaks down PACs among 13 economic sectors and more than 100
industries.
*View the Top PAC Contributors by Election Cycle
*Look Up Foreign-Connected PACs.
NEW! The Center lists PACs affiliated with subsidiaries of foreign-owned
companies.

----

Weekly Highlights #17
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu