Library Web Manager's Reference Center

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org
Tue Jun 26 07:39:10 EDT 2001

web4libbers,
    About two years ago Roy took me up on an offer to reorganize the companion web site to this list, the Library Web Manager's Reference Center:
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/RefCenter/
    The purpose of LWMRC is to organize links that have been mentioned in common Web4Lib threads.
    However, as a link collection, the site isn't very sophisticated. As plain HTML, changing the topical categories is a pain, and there's no option for user input.
    I recently approached Roy about some options for changing LWMRC (including getting your reactions):
--Leave as is. It does what it's supposed to do.
--Use one of many open source link organizer programs now available: Link Conservatory, Zink, phpHoo2, Links-Engine...all these look like they use PHP and MySQL [neither of which I have any experience with, but that's no deterrent].
--Approach DMOZ about integrating LWMRC into their directory. Paul Lareu already edits a substantial section on "knowledge management":
http://dmoz.org/Reference/Knowledge_Management/
and Seth Maislin edits a section on "Information Architecture":
http://dmoz.org/Reference/Knowledge_Management/Information_Architecture/
--Letting some other Web4Lib subscriber take a whach at reoganizing it.

--
Jerry Kuntz
Electronic Resources Consultant
jkuntz at rcls.org