[WEB4LIB] RE: Browser Hijackings

P. Michael McCulley mcculley at best.com
Fri Jun 22 02:40:04 EDT 2001

Thanks, Andrew and ratz :<... I thought we'd hit it.
You might want to look at this ZDNET article on home page hijacking:

	Online battleground--has your home page been hijacked?
	http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2689655,00.html

Perhaps this is some variation on the PassThisOn.com tricks noted.

Since it has seemingly ended, and mysteriously, some variant of DNS spoofing or hacking is perhaps involved after all. The name servers can be poisoned with false cache data in some cases. If some DNS admin has flushed or re-set the cache, it (the redirects) would "disappear" mysteriously as you describe.

It still is puzzling about the box that pops up, and what "happens" when the user selects to re-set their homepage (opt-in?).

Anyway, glad that has ended for now. Onward, through the fog....

Best,
Michael

P. Michael McCulley
Email: mcculley at best.com

Quote of the Moment:
The world is full of apathy and complacency, and no one cares. - George Will

[remainder snipped]