[WEB4LIB] RE: Browser Hijackings

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Jun 21 23:45:09 EDT 2001

Michael,

This was actually my first guess at what was causing this problem.
However, I was able to eliminate this possibility for several reasons:

1) The browser startup and search pages had not been changed in most
cases but the browsers still were diverted to "bigred.com".

2) I've removed Windows Scripting Host from all of our staff and public
machines to avoid problems related to WSH-related viruses.

3) Our AV scans did not detect any viruses and they would have detected
the "Seeker" application.

The clincher is that the problem has now stopped as mysteriously as it
started.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library