[WEB4LIB] RE: Finding links to specific pages

gary price gprice at gwu.edu
Wed Jun 20 14:32:30 EDT 2001

Bernie:

Hello from D.C.
*As Dan points out with AltaVista, the same is true for Google.

In the search box type, link:<url>

*Most of the Inktomi fed databases also provide this service.
For example MSN Search

http://search.msn.com/advanced.asp
In the find pull-down box select: links to this url

*Alltheweb.Com via
the Advanced Interface:
http://www.alltheweb.com/cgi-bin/advsearch
In the "word filters" box use pull-down <third box> and select link to URL

Btw, Lycos uses the same database. So, this interface will also work.
http://lycospro.lycos.com/?tab=mylink&aloc=sb_tab_mylink&lpv=1

Btw, Greg Notess's wonderful search engine chart is a great tool to answer
these types of questions.
http://www.searchengineshowdown.com/features/

cheers,
gary

Looking for Web Research News? New Resources? New Full-Text Documents?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Research and Internet Consulting
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu