Where do you get support and why?

Chris LeBlanc leblanc at ALMARK.lamar.edu
Wed Jun 13 12:03:13 EDT 2001

"c.murdock" wrote:

> > Yes friends, GNU/Linux is a supported OS, if that's what you need or
> > want.
>
> Yes indeed!  I have had far better results in getting support for GNU/Linux
> and its various applications than I've had with any Windows app.  For most
> programs there are discussion lists where you can post questions, and 99% of
> the time you'll get a solution for your problem within the hour.  I have had
> people from these lists send me scripts in order to customize a program's
> source code specifically for my needs, and in many instances I've been able
> to communicate directly with the author of a program to fix a problem.  Try
> doing that with a commercial application!  The sense of community out there
> is amazing.

And for those of you who want/need support "contracts" and/or a company to call
for help, you can always contact RedHat, LinuxCare, Corel, or IBM and buy
support from them.  That way, if you have to go to the CIO, Director of
Telecommunications, or whatever the title, you can say that yes, there is
support for it.

Even though you can great great support at no cost via Usenet, Linux web sites,
and email lists, decision makers don't want to hear about that, they want
someone they can call for support.

The truth is, the support is out there, all you have to do is look.

Christopher LeBlanc
Lamar University Library
leblanc at library.lamar.edu