[WEB4LIB] Re: Little of GNU/Linux in Libraries (was: The beginning

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jun 13 10:53:09 EDT 2001

CL> The greatest problem of GNU/Linux as an alternative to MS Windows, is that
CL> people don't like change.  They don't want to switch from one system to another.

Although there are those who never want to change, almost all library
folks these days have learned that they have to change, and change
quickly, like it or not.  An amazing number have actually learned to
like change or to accept it very gracefully.

The biggest reason many don't like to change is that they don't want
change for change's sake.  When we moved from WordPerfect to Word,
many were unhappy.  They didn't see it as an improvement, particularly
if they were a power user of WP already.  They were right, of course.
I had to put on my "translator's hat" and explain that it was due to
economics, due to the campus dropping support for WP, due to the poor
prospects for WP in the marketplace, and so forth.  I compared it to
those driving an old and well-loved car, and not wanting to get rid of
it.  Those few still driving the old WP car know that they're on their
own, that if it ultimately dies or they don't know how to work the
choke, it is their problem, not ours.  They also know that if it ever
causes problems with any standard, required software, that it will
leave their computer.  The same is true with Netscape, and the one
user who still uses Lotus 123 and the one using Q&A for a small
database.  Those who want to drive a Model A Ford had better be prepared
to do some of their own repairs, and to get a ticket if they can't
keep it up to minimum speeds on the freeway.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA