[WEB4LIB] RE:The beginning of the end for the Netscape Browser???

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Wed Jun 13 09:02:04 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 04:41:59PM -0700, Di Clarke wrote:

> >Well who knows about the .Net thing - I mean, P.T. Barnum said "there's a
> >sucker born every minute" and/or "you can fool most of the people most
> >of the time".  If .Net flies (and I have no real doubts that most people
> >will be dragged along, even if a few are kicking and screaming) then it
> >will be another testament to Barnum's cynical wisdom.  Even Linus
> >Torvalds (inventor of the Linux kernel), an infamously even-tempered
> >fellow, said recently that the whole idea of convincing people to rent
> >their software instead of owning it was just nutty.  If any marketing
> >department is up to the challenge, it is Microsoft's  :)
> >
> >> PS:  I use Linux, Netscape 4.76 and Mozilla 0.9, and I sometimes, just
> >> sometimes, MS-bash, but only when I think they have deserved it.  :)
> >
> >Don't even think twice - *of course* they deserve it.  Would you feel
> >guilty about bad-mouthing the Mafia?? ;>
> >
> >Raymond
> >

> I can't help it - I have to inject a little humour in here, this article is
> funny ...
>
> http://www.computeruser.com/articles/2006,3,7,1,0601,01.html

Thanks I enjoyed that  :)

As a matter of interest, here's a news snippet that I came across just
yesterday(truth is stranger than fiction?)

MICROSOFT "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" TO BECOME NETWORK CARRIER
Microsoft's new version of Windows XP, to be released this fall, will
include high-quality phone and directory features. The new system will
offer such features as the ability to follow a person anywhere the person
can be reached (desktop to home to cell phone, etc.), and will create the
possibility of important new revenue streams for Microsoft for subscription
services such as Caller ID and voice mail. Former Bell Labs researcher
David Isenberg predicts that "Microsoft is going to suck the value out of
telecommunications companies," but Microsoft senior vice president Craig
Mundie demurs: "I think it's highly unlikely that we will become a network
carrier. To the extent that we can add a cool capability, maybe it's
possible that we can make it a subscription service." Investment manager
Andrew J. Kessler sums up the situation this way: "The phone companies
should be increasingly worried." (New York Times 12 Jun 2001)
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/12/technology/12SOFT.html

Raymond