OpenURL, plp and sfx

Theo van Veen Theo.vanVeen at kb.nl
Wed Jun 13 04:18:33 EDT 2001

I would like to know which libraries are using OpenURL to link from their OPAC to a service component like an sfx-server or a personal link page. And if so, I would like to know how the user is able to set the base-url for this service component.

To be able to dynamically link (using the OpenURL-syntax) from any OPAC to systems choosen by the user it is important that every OPAC uses the same mechanism for setting the base-url. I have examples of a simple piece of javascript to do this by means of a cookie (see  http://www.kb.nl/persons/theo/chess.html for a book and http://www.kb.nl/persons/theo/article.html for an article). This javascript reads the base-url and sets the base-url. I would like to know if there are better ways to do the same. In the examples the base-url is set to a demo page but it is quite easy to make one yourself and put it on your own workstation (e.g. file:///c:/myplp.html as plp or base-url).

Thanks in advance for your information,

Theo van Veen