[WEB4LIB] Little of GNU/Linux in Libraries (was: The beginning of the end for the

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Jun 11 15:01:27 EDT 2001

Monday, June 11, 2001, 7:56:54 AM, you wrote:

CL>   We need Books In Print,
CL> Ulrich's, PsychLit databases, and a few others who only have
CL> Windows clients.  If we had an easy way to move this to an
CL> Internet-Based system, or at least a system that used browsers
CL> to access, then we could dump Windows out there and all of the
CL> security hassles it is.

All of those products are available over the web through the browser
and OS of your choice.  It sounds like you're running them off of
CDROM.  Regardless of OS issues, you'll be much happier to get them on
CDROM, and may find the costs are lower, particularly if you include
the cost of however you're serving them now.  Best of all, they'll be
easy to authenticate to off campus users.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA