[WEB4LIB] javascript not working once server side includes were turned on

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jun 11 12:32:54 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Woods Hyman" <lwhyman at pacbell.net>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 11:40 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] javascript not working once server side includes were
turned on

> Hi gals/guys. I need your sage advice once again. Recently our system
administrator broke down and fully implemented server side includes. We
can now use ssi's without having to change the extension to .shtml or
having to stash it in a special directory.  Hurray! That only took 2 +
years.

> Now I am having a problem with a pre-existing javascript that we were
using to create the "file last modified" date. (The other javascript on
our site appears to be working just fine) I know there is a way to use the
"echo" as well as some other statements to generate a last modified
statement and date.  Can anyone help? Here is the old javascript code just
for giggles. For an example see http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/webtime/
which is reflecting a date of December 31, 1969. Thanks.

Most servers that support SSI stop sending a last-modified HTTP header for
server-parsed documents.  It only makes sense: a page that was in some way
created on the fly doesn't have a relevant last-modified date.  I assume
the JavaScript document.lastModified object must derive from that header,
which is why it stopped working (and 12/31/1969 rings a faint bell as what
JS displays for an undefined date).

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu