[WEB4LIB] RE:The beginning of the end for the Netscape Browser???

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Sat Jun 9 00:13:18 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:28:53PM -0700, Chris LeBlanc wrote:
> Netscape is probably looking at using Sun's OpenOffice (formerly
> StarOffice) system and Mozilla to create their own <dot>NET-like
> system.  They are hoping that since their system will be usable by
> people with Win9x (not just 2000 or XP) then more people will join the
> Netscape bandwagon and steal MS's thunder.

Well who knows about the .Net thing - I mean, P.T. Barnum said "there's a
sucker born every minute" and/or "you can fool most of the people most
of the time".  If .Net flies (and I have no real doubts that most people
will be dragged along, even if a few are kicking and screaming) then it
will be another testament to Barnum's cynical wisdom.  Even Linus
Torvalds (inventor of the Linux kernel), an infamously even-tempered
fellow, said recently that the whole idea of convincing people to rent
their software instead of owning it was just nutty.  If any marketing
department is up to the challenge, it is Microsoft's  :)

> PS:  I use Linux, Netscape 4.76 and Mozilla 0.9, and I sometimes, just
> sometimes, MS-bash, but only when I think they have deserved it.  :)

Don't even think twice - *of course* they deserve it.  Would you feel
guilty about bad-mouthing the Mafia?? ;>

Raymond