[WEB4LIB] RE:The beginning of the end for the Netscape Browser???

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Fri Jun 8 23:03:03 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 05:02:50PM -0700, Dan Lester wrote:
> Friday, June 08, 2001, 3:29:01 PM, you wrote:
>
> CL> Netscape is probably looking at using Sun's OpenOffice (formerly
> CL> StarOffice) system and Mozilla to create their own <dot>NET-like
> CL> system.  They are hoping that since their system will be usable by
> CL> people with Win9x (not just 2000 or XP) then more people will join the
> CL> Netscape bandwagon and steal MS's thunder.
>
> By the time NS gets that far, the only people still using Win9x will
> be the ones who just moved from DOS6.22 or Win3.1 last week.  In other
> words, a market too small to bother with.

I couldn't agree with you more Dan - who in this so-called free market
would *choose* to use a crappy OS like W98 when GNU/Linux is available
for a free download??

And for those who insist on getting taken for a ride on Microsoft's
mandatory 'upgrade train', I'm sure that the majority of the victims,
er, market won't object to renting their software instead of owning it.
I mean, why buy a house when you can rent one forever, right?

=}

Raymond