[WEB4LIB] RE:The beginning of the end for the Netscape Browser???

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Jun 8 20:06:49 EDT 2001

Friday, June 08, 2001, 5:18:06 PM, you wrote:

RW> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:19:38PM -0700, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>> I've never been very sympathetic to Netscape's plight.

RW> Nor I, for the same reasons you outline below.  In fact, I found out
RW> somewhere along the line that the 'Mozilla' name, originally associated
RW> with the Navigator browser, is derived from the the phrase 'Mozaic
RW> Killer' (does anyone remember Mozaic?  :)  Netscape's raison d'etre was
RW> to kill off a nice free browser and replace it with their own
RW> proprietary creation.  For a while, they certainly succeeded...

It wasn't just "Mosaic Killa", but they also had a character named
"Mozilla", who looks something like a cross between Godzilla (thus the
"zilla" and a TRex with a goofy look on its face.  In fact, a Mozilla
hat with the critter on it is sitting to my left as I type.  The hat
cost ten bucks or something from the Netscape Store back about NS1.0
to NS2.0.  It is one of my older hats among the several hundred that I
have.

dan, still the old cyclops

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA