Browser Test Results

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Jun 8 19:55:03 EDT 2001

As you may recall, I sought input on the visibility of a page that I
made with FrontPage2002, using the automatic photo album creation
feature.  I got just over fifty responses (and I'm sure you'll all
earn a place in heaven for not sending them all to the list), and am
summarizing them below.

For the latecomers, or if you want to try out more things with it, the
URL is  http://www.gailndan.com/randparty.htm

I used one of the four photo album styles that it comes with, and as
several have pointed out that option produces a page wider than 800
pixels, at least when there is a left border menu.  I'll play with it
some more and be putting up some more albums on www.gailndan.com, so
feel free to check back or to offer comments any time. I'll also put
fewer photos on any one album page in the future to speed up loading
time.

The slightly simplified conclusion is that the photo album doesn't
work without a reload in NS (and may not work in all cases even then),
but works in other browsers.

IE4, IE5, IE5.5, IE6   No problems   Showed blue page title, black text
where present, black lines separating pictures, buttons with
mouseover, blue "cloudy" background.

NS4.7x, NS4.61, NS4.5, NS4.08, NS4.01a  Under Win9x/NT/2K or MacOS8.6
Assorted problems:
Some reported seeing only the blue header (Gail N Dan.com), usually
with a yellow background for the page.  Others reported that it looked
fine.  Several mentioned that at first they got only the header, but
on reload got the whole page of pictures.

NS4.7x  Under Linux or Unix   Assorted problems:
Only blue header on yellow background.  None reported success with
reload, but none reported trying, either.

NS6   No problems

NN2.02  (Swedish)   No problems

Opera on Unix   No problems

Opera 5.11, Opera 5.1, Opera 5.0, Opera4.02 (Win9x and Mac8.6)  No problems

Lynx on Unix    No problems

Lynx 2.8.2  (unknown OS)     No problems

Konqueror on Unix    Produces a core dump

Konqueror 2.1.1 on KDE 2.1.2   No problems

iCab 2.5.1 - English version   No problems

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115  USA