[WEB4LIB] Re: Imminent Netscape demise

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goerwitz.com
Fri Jun 8 18:57:24 EDT 2001

Darryl Friesen wrote:

> Interesting.  I have the exact opposite feeling.  To me IE seems more
> feature rich, more stable, with a better user interface, better "look" to
> rendered pages, and it seems much faster.  I was sold 10 minutes after I
> installed IE 3.whatever, and have been waiting for Netscape to shrivel up
> and die ever since.

Remember that IE only runs on Windows platforms (you can also get
it for MacOS).  That means that the increasing number of academics
and library technologists who use OSs like Linux would be left out
in the cold if it weren't for Netscape.

But more to the point it's also generally just silly to wish for
competition on any industry to die.  Part of the reason many of us
are going from being annoyingly nickeled and dimed to being really
drained by Microsoft is that, for office productivity software,
there aren't many decent competitors.

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard at Goerwitz.COM
tel: 401 438 8978