Blocking the iWon Co-Pilot

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Jun 19 18:52:33 EDT 2001

The latest annoyance to travel across our Internet workstations is the iWon
Co-Pilot.  Like the Comet Cursor, it uses ActiveX in IE to install itself, which
may bypass your local security measures.  On Netscape Navigator/Communicator, it
requires the user to grant permissions to install but that sure doesn't stop the
patrons from saying "Yes!".  If you have encountered this problem and want to
put a stop to these shenanigans, see these help pages:

How to Block the iWon Co-Pilot (Internet Explorer)
http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/browser/blockiwonie.html

and

How to Block the iWon Co-Pilot (Netscape Navigator/Communicator 4.x)
http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/browser/blockiwonnn.html

Let me know of any questions or corrections!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI