[WEB4LIB] flash image on our home page

Jim Rible Rible at sou.edu
Fri Jun 29 19:37:31 EDT 2001

Your page looks fine, but I encourage you to take it a step further. We use Flash on our home page as the main interface. I find it to be one of the best ways to elegantly put a lot of information on one page.  Also, it scales according to the browser size i.e. changing the size of the browser window causes the entire page to shrink or expand.  Check it our at http://www.sou.edu/library

Jim Rible
Systems Librarian
Southern Oregon University

>>> "Drew, Bill" <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU> 06/18/01 07:41AM >>>
We have a new web designer who is very accomplished in Flash and Macromedia
products. He has created a new header fore our webpages.  I would like some
useful input on how it looks.  I don't want to start a debate about using
flash images.  This one loads very quickly and can be skipped over by those
using screen readers because of links buried in the page that are visible to
screen readers because of alt text.  Currently the "movie" loops once but I
have asked our designer to change it to 5 times. The URL for the test page
is:

http://www.morrisville.edu/library/testindex.htm

On a related question, why would flash software designers allow you to turn
off the loop using the embed and object parameters, but not allow you to set
the number of loops?  Seems to be bad design on their part.
____________________
Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
SUNY Morrisville College Library
E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
BillDrew.Net: http://billdrew.net/
Not Just Cows: http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
Library: http://www.morrisville.edu/library/
Wireless Librarian: http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/wireless/
Have Laptop -- Will Travel.
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" --
Author Unknown