filters and the law

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Jun 7 10:04:33 EDT 2001

It should be clarified that the Minneapolis situation is not a court ruling.  It
is a preliminary finding by the EEOC regarding a sexual harassment claim. I am
also not a lawyer but I would guess that First Amendment issues don't even enter
into the findings of the EEOC as they deal with employment law, not
constituional claims.  Furthermore, the EEOC's finding doesn't mean that filters
are going to be mandated or are even the solution.  It was noted elsewhere that
some of the librarians filing the claim don't support filters as a solution to
the problem.

For the sake of discussion, even if the EEOC ruling was a court decision, that
wouldn't necessarily mean that it sets up the opportunity for a Supreme Court
challenge.  The Virginia case was never appealed and as such,  no precedent was
established.  The district court's decision, while outlining some very important
legal issues, has no direct applicability except to the case itself.  Normally,
you won't see the Supreme Court take on these cases until there are conflicting
decisions at the Court of Appeals.  That can't happen until there are actually
cases that are decided and appealed to that level.  So, unless or until we see
some court cases advance their way up to the Court of Appeals, these discussions
will be mainly speculation by constitutional scholars and arm-chair lawyers like
myself.
:)

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI

.  So, there is no court rulings in opposition here.  Even if it was,