Win2000 download restrictions

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Jun 7 06:56:02 EDT 2001

You have several choices for restricting where downloads go... here is a
sampling:

* If you are running a true Win2K domain, you can use Win2k group policy to
restrict where downloads go.
* If you are running Win2k within an NT 4 domain, you can use NT 4 system
policy to accomplish the same.
* I believe this capability is also built in to the inimitable Public Web
Browser.
* You could use local group policy per machine to accomplish this, but
that's laborious.
* Third-party software you may be using for other reasons (e.g. Fortres)
will usually help you accomplish this.

Downloading is not the problem, as Bob Sullivan has said more than once;
executing is the problem.  (N.b. we allow downloading to floppy and zip.)
As for preventing people from downloading illegal content... that's like
closing a parking lot to prevent people from parking stolen cars. It's not
against the law to download tax forms, baby pictures or silly screen savers.
Why lump those folks with the baddies? If people are breaking the law, go
after them and put them in jail.

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director of Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, Clifton Park, NY
http://www.shenpublib.org