[WEB4LIB] Anyone with any sense ought to know this - sending web pages to o thers

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jul 17 08:49:42 EDT 2001

> But since we are past the day when people take time to write a fine
manual
> and there is not one to read, I am asking how to send a web page to
someone
> else over email when it has frames and supporting files.  We are doing a
set
> of pages so that our clients can use Dialog Select and for an opening
page I
> have revised their "frame page" (no script).  Of course when I send it
the
> supporting images and text do not go along and they get a lot of "The
page
> can not be displayed."  Do you save the page to a file, then send the
whole
> folder?  Or is there a "trick?"

In an all-IE environment, you can save pages as "Web Archive, Single
File", which creates a single .mht file.  This is a MIME-encoded multipart
file, sort of like a mail message with multiple attachments.  When IE open
a .mht file, it looks for all the inline images, frames, etc. in the MIME
encoding, rather than at their URLs.  It doesn't seem like rocket science,
but it is proprietary to IE and other browsers don't support it, AFAIK.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu