[WEB4LIB] News about Susan Calcari

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri Jul 13 23:20:38 EDT 2001

Susan Calcari will be missed by many -- certainly by me. Those of us
old and grey enough to remember the early days of the Internet (lo,
those many years ago...) will remember that she was a pioneer. But
more than that, she had staying power. While many projects that got
an early start also saw an early demise (and they are legion), her
Scout projects of various stripes kept on going, through the
sponsorship of one source or another. We should all be happy to do
half as well with the projects we start.

More than that, she was quite simply a nice person. After years of
following her work, I finally got to meet her over dinner in Madison
not long ago, at a meeting she was thoughtful enough to arrange. Our
conversation ranged over many mutual interests, as well as her fight
and how she was determined to win it.

We all have our visions, but she was one of the rare ones who knew
how to put a foundation under hers. That the Scout Project is what it
is today, and has been for many years (ancient history in Internet
time), is to her everlasting credit.

She will be missed, and most certainly by me.
Roy