(Update Week 19) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Jul 12 10:54:22 EDT 2001

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk Update Week 19

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

7/12/01

Hello from Washington D.C.

It’s been both a busy and eventful week!

I feel quite sure that you will find several new resources and news stories
worthy of your attention.

Pay special attention to the search engine stories added on Sunday and Monday.
Under the Sunday header you’ll find a few details about an upgrade
AllTheWeb.Com. Under the Monday header, read about and find links to an
exciting new/newly discovered general search resource, WISEnut.

The Usual:
This email update is *ONLY A SAMPLE* of what you will find on the actual
weblog site.
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

The weblog is updated daily.

---------
If you have any questions or comments, just drop me a note.

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu

p.s. Thank you for continuing to let others know about the site. Feel free to
forward this post.
----------------
Weekly Highlights #19
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 12, 2001
Company News--Europe
Press Release Services
Source For European Company News: hugin
>From the site, "...financial press releases, reports, financial calendars and
company profiles." Searchable. Material can also be sent (free) directly via
e-mail.

Information Technology--Lists and Rankings
Source: Interactive Week
Fast 50
>From the page, "...Interactive Week's ranking of fast-growing, publicly held
Internet product and services companies."
---

Wednesday, July 11, 2001
Education--News and Information
Current Awareness Tools
Source: Eisenhower National Clearinghouse
"Education Headlines"
A very useful compilation (updated daily) with links to news articles about
education from U.S. sources.
NOTE: This service can also be delivered to you as a daily e-mail message.

Full-Text Resource Shelf
Human Development--Worldwide
Source: United Nations
Human Development Report 2001:
Making New Technologies Work For Human Development
Note: The "Indicators" Database for Fast Access To Stats
---
Rail Safety--United Kingdom
Source: Health & Safety Executive
The Ladbroke Grove Train Inquiry
268 page .pdf
---
Food Consumption-Worldwide
Source: USDA
Changing Structure of Global Food Consumption and Trade
111 page .pdf
---
Envrionment--Canada--Statistics
Source: Enviroment Canada
Canada's Greenhouse Gas Emissions 1990-1999

---
Tuesday, July 10, 2001
Education--Database
Testing--Database
ERIC/AE Abstracts in Progress Database Now Available
Source: ERIC Clearinghouse on Assessment and Evaluation
"The ERIC Clearinghouse on Assessment and Evaluation (ERIC/AE) now offers an
experimental database of abstracts of the most recent articles and papers on
assessment, evaluation, research methods, and learning theory. The database is
updated weekly and enables you to search for recent materials not yet posted
to the ERIC database."

Info Industry--Dialog
Research Tools--Add-Ons
Hello to Dialog IQ
>From the site, "The Dialog IQ application is an easy-to-use desktop search
application..." It's free to download and use. You do need to be a Dialog,
DataStar, NewsLine or Profound customer.

---
Monday, June 9, 2001
Web Search—WISEnut
Something New To Try
A General Web Search Engine: Query-Sensitive Searching With WISEnut
So, you want another general web search tool to try and make use of? WISEnut
maybe worth some of your attention.
A Very Quick Overview
--The WISEnut spider creates the WISEnut database.
They do not purchase a database from a third party
--No Boolean, + and – signs can be used
--Searches 25 Languages
--Common Stopwords Searchable with A + in front of the term(s)
--Provides an “adult” content filter, “WISEwatch”
--Site clustering, number of results presented,
languages searched can be set by user
--Currency: I found several pages that were about 3 weeks old

----
Sunday, July 8, 2001
Web Search--AllTheWeb
New Interface, Features Now Online

Reference Tools--Dictionaries
Source: AP
Early Review of Microsoft Encarta College Dictionary, "Inconsistent
Definitions"

---
Saturday, July 7, 2001
Business--International--Lists and Rankings
Forbes International 500-2001

---
Friday, July 6, 2001
Invisible Web
Coursey Tackles the Invisible Web
ZDNet columnist David Coursey with another column about the Invsible Web. I am
thrilled to see that the "direct search" resource I compile is mentioned.
Remember, I do my best to add new and newly discovered IW resources to this
weblog.

Business--Sports
Web Compilation: Sports Business Resources
Compiled by Rodney Fort, a member of the Econonics Dept. faculty at Washington
State University. If your looking for numbers involving the business of sports
(college, pro, or stadiums) this is a great place to begin. Many of the
specific numbers are available in a spreadsheet format that includes a full
bibliographic citation. Scroll the left frame to get a sense of what is
available. Very useful if you are looking for older data.

--
Thursday July 5, 2001
Web Search--FirstGov

Web Directories--JoeAnt
Source: SearchDay
An Introduction to JoeAnt
A few weeks ago we included a link to JoeAnt, a new web directory. Today,
Chris Sherman, our friend and co-author, provides us with a complete review.
----

Weekly Highlights #18
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu