[WEB4LIB] Redirect pages & back button

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jul 11 14:12:46 EDT 2001

> I've created redirects in html for links to full-text articles from
> my library's web site so we can track usage. A single click on the
> "back" button in IE (5.5) very nicely takes one back to the
> originating page. Netscape (4.7) however gets "mousetrapped" -
> clicking the "back" button returns one to the redirect page and the
> user gets stuck in an endless loop. I've searched around for some
> JavaScript, but can't find anything suitable. How can I get a single
> "back" click in Netscape to return to the originating page, not the
> redirect page?

You probably need to post a URL for one of your redirect pages.  It sounds
suspiciously like you're not really using HTTP redirection--you can't
*really* do redirection in HTML in a completely satisfactory way.  I've
ranted about this on the list before, if you feel like searching the
archives.  What you need is to redirect with a URL that returns the
corrent HTTP header, not a META tag (and certainly not a window.location
script).

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu