[WEB4LIB] Metasearch Engines and Commercial Portals

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Tue Jul 10 14:53:43 EDT 2001

At 11:18 AM -0700 7/10/01, Howard Pasternack wrote:
>I am curious whether commercial portals such as Yahoo and Google can
>legally restrict client software (graphic or otherwise) from
>searching their sites and harvesting results.  One of my favorite
>search clients used to be Copernic, but it has gotten less useful in
>recent months as Google and other sites have been removed from the
>client.  -- Howard

Yep, the commercial portals can do whatever they want.  If you don't
like it, drop them a line -- they are pretty responsive to people,
most folks never ask.  But no one can make them cooperate, they have
to believe it's in their best interest.

Avi