[WEB4LIB] Re: "Search the Web Like a Map" article

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Tue Jul 10 14:09:22 EDT 2001

At 6:32 PM -0700 7/9/01, Jerry Kuntz wrote:
>OK, I'll bite...
>These visualization navigation tools have been popping up and
>disappearing almost since the Web started, but none has gained
>popularity. Doesn't that suggest that graphical representations
>(beyond simple outlines and menus) of semantic concepts aren't very
>intuitive?

I agree, and yet I think there are a set of people who just *love*
the idea of graphical interfaces to searching.  They've been working
on it since long before the Web, with starfield clusters and
topographical displays and flythroughs and a whole bunch of creative
but ultimately unsuccessful displays.

I have thought about this a while and I see two main problems with
all of these visualization approaches:

+ Most searches are very general and don't require additional
concepts.  For example, common queries such as "wimbledon", "delta
airlines", "california lottery" don't indicate people are looking for
more sports, more airlines or more lotteries!  The visual tools I've
seen are good at expanding queries but not subdividing them.

+ I have yet to see a way of connecting the graphical display to the
text that really works.  Labels can't be long or they take up too
much room, so you're left with a few words and connected lists,
rather than a single place to look.  I know that some people don't
mind so much, but frankly, it makes my head hurt.

I'm convinced that there will be some useful visual tools for
navigation first, search concepts later, as computer interfaces
evolve.  The visualization folks are so committed to this idea that
they'll keep working on it, despite the problems, and I admire them
for that.

Avi