flash image on our home page

Pinkham, Lida LPinkham at plcmc.org
Tue Jul 10 11:52:24 EDT 2001

I agree with the majority of posts that using flash is usually not
desireable especially for a home page. I don't think I can think of a case
when it would benefit anyone to use flash on a home page.

However, there are some good applications of flash.  We have chosen to use
flash for Storyplace, the children's digital library. We realize that not
everyone will be able to enjoy this site, but we felt it was the best tool
for developing an interactive website for children. We wanted to give
children the library experience at home.  There are interactive stories and
activities done in flash.  But there are also print out activities and
reading lists that do not require flash, so not everyone is left in the
dust.  On a final note, we did research our local audience and found that
most of them had the technology needed to enjoy the site.

Enjoy - http://www.storyplace.org

Lida Pinkham
Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County
Library Resource Trainer
704-353-0631 (phone)
704-336-2677 (fax)

Check out the PLCMC family of websites:
http://www.plcmc.lib.nc.us/family/family.htm

"Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at
all."
~Henry David Thoreau

/ ) __ ~
   / |  )\