LATP: Database of regional reference questions

Bob Long bob at esrl.lib.md.us
Fri Jul 6 13:22:33 EDT 2001

Hello. For my LATP project I would like to demonstrate a searchable,
web-based database of reference questions with a regional focus.

The goal of the project is to demostrate a tool that would provide
patrons with a good starting place for questions they may have with regard
to local culture, government, business or lifestyle, and serve as a
central repository for regional reference for all of the member libraries.

My question to Web4Lib would be, what would you recommend as a good place
to begin with the organization of this information? That is, when the user
reaches the site, should he/she be presented with just a keyword search?
Or would it be more useful to attempt some sort of categorization a la
Yahoo, as well as a keyword search?

Keep in mind that this will only be a small model to show the concept. It
will probably be stocked with thirty or forty questions, just enough to
demonstrate the capability and potential of such a tool.

Is anyone out there actually doing something like this? If so, I'd really
like to take a look at your site.

BTW, all answers I receive on this will be included in my project
portfolio and will be on display at the project showcase!

Thanks,

Bob Long, Eastern Shore Regional Library, Inc.
Automation Technical Assistant
410 479 0776	(v)
410 548 5807	(f)
bob at esrl.lib.md.us