[WEB4LIB] Column on HTML Editors

Robert Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Mon Jul 9 00:17:40 EDT 2001

"Karen G. Schneider" wrote:
> My next column for American Libraries is about HTML editors.  I'm focusing
> on three commercial editors: Front Page, Dreamweaver and Homesite (which is
> now bundled with Dreamweaver).  I plan a brief mention of two or three of
> the best free/dirt-cheap editors.

For those of us who still prefer to code by hand (and I hope there are more than just a few of us left), NoteTab Light is one of the best/most powerful all-purpose freeware text editors ever created.  It offers a long list of advanced features, including HTML tag support, which I must admit I do not use but believe would be very useful to other users out there looking for an HTML-capable editor.  Anyone into HTML, programming, or just editing plain text/HTML/XML files should find this product extremely beneficial.

Since Windows' Notepad doesn't open large text files and WordPad is not well suited for editing plain text, NoteTab Light was a wonderful find.  It handles huge text files well and can be expanded through downloadable libraries (available at the site), so CSS, XML, XHTML and other tagging and text manipulations can be performed.  The program is also designed to integrate with other software such as HTML Tidy, TopStyle, and CSE HTML Validator.  Links to these resources are also available at the site.  Other important features include multiple document search and replace operations, regular expressions support, and many text reformatting operations.  Customizable settings are plentiful, and the program occupies very little hard drive space and RAM.

NoteTab Light can be downloaded from http://www.notetab.com/ntl.htm (only 1,505 KB).  An even more powerful editor, NoteTab Pro, is also available for purchase at the site ($19.95).   Best of all, NoteTab Light is real freeware:  fully functional, ad-less, and nagless.

Robert Tiess
rjtiess at warwick.net