[WEB4LIB] RE: Marketing online Services

Robert Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Thu Jul 5 18:22:51 EDT 2001

One thing we did was to have our web address included at the bottom of patron "date due" slips they receive for items borrowed.  "Visit us online at [insert URL here]."  Patrons refer to these slips constantly, so that one line of text has a better chance of getting noticed than bookmarks sporting web addresses, which we also have.  Basically, include the web address everywhere library contact information is published (and then hope someone never gets the bright idea to change the URL).

Eventually, once your site offers something unique (more than just hours of operation and phone numbers), such as dynamic content (meaning anything that changes or gets updated, either manually or automatically; e.g. a "library news" or "new books" section), web guides, or interactive services (even something as simple as online access to article database or the library catalog)--so patrons have some reason to revisit the site--you can get a bit more daring and suggest patrons set their start pages to the library's web site :-)

Personally, I feel this should be considered one goal of any library web site master plan, ultimately to convince patrons (or at least provide them compelling reasons) always to start their research at the library, to visit the library first, either physically or via the web.  Then, if they really have to, they can resort to third party search engines, web directories, et cetera.  It could help to reclaim and re-educate those patrons currently taken with the popular misconception the Internet could somehow be a viable substitute for quality library services.

Robert Tiess
rjtiess at warwick.net